Tuesday, February 5, 2013

AJE Challenge - Week 5 & 6

It has been some weeks since I worked with copper, one of my favorite materials. So, I dug out my copper coil, and thought. What should it be this time. Why not try some Celtic knots? Sounded interesting. So, there we go - this one took birth! A bit of oxidising, and a tiny bunch of deep red danglers, and I think she looks poised.

What do you think?


One more







And, this is my first hand with sheet metal. This is my next entry to the challenge! 

I cant part with these, this is going to be with me!!

Do you know what this technique is? I did what was just rolling out from my imagination, not sure whether it falls in any 'category'!!










14 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful shape you created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Cynthia! It is a celtic pattern, there are so many of these patterns. From very simple to very, very complicated designs.. When done with wire, they kind of 'lock' together, in perfect tension which is amazing! But ALL of them looks elegant! I chose one which is maybe one level above simple :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are both gorgeous! Love the first ones especially :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! Yeah, I am practising 'vigorously' with the metal sheets!! Have loads of room for improvement!! ;) Searching locally to enroll for a metalwork class..

      Delete
  4. Both are super pretty, Sumi! LOVE the celtic knots, poised and graceful indeed!
    For the second one, I was going to ask you what you did there, only to read what you said, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kashmira! Yeah, when I did the Celtic knots I knew what I was doing. But with the second pair I was like "Wow, I got some new material, I have to fiddle with it right away"! Got a pair of metal shears, and a power punch and of course some metal sheets! I wanted to make something that looks very 'Indian'. This is what it became!!! lol But my sis was telling it resembles the ornate shields that we use during temple processions in South India. In that way I did justice to it!!

      Delete
  5. Love your designs Sumi! I look forward to seeing what you post every week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your first time using sheet metal? What a beautiful result - graceful and exotic. And I truly love the Celtic knots - beautiful design and wirework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was my first time. Thankyou for the assurance. I was not quite sure, the holes I pinched were large, and I had not used the correct tools - I dint know which tools to buy! But I am taking it seriously now, there is so much freedom to design when we get the right grip on working with metal.

      Delete
  7. Once again you had two fabulous designs Sumi! Really love the wirework you did with the first earrings. It's one of the techniques I would love to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kumi,
      What a great support you are. It has come to a point that I look forward to what you think about my designs.. With your skills with wire, Celtic knots would be like butter for you!! :) There are so many patterns online and you can start from a simple one or even intermediate.. But at some point of curving and bending, the design locks itself into place. I just enjoy that part. Maybe thats the unique feature too, of Celtic knots!!

      Delete
  8. The are both awesome designs, but I am esp. impressed by the wire work, too. One of my goals for 2013 is to ezpand my wire working skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Linda! You can definitely master wireworking!! Thats a nice goal you have set.. All the best!

      Delete