Saturday, March 30, 2013

BSBP - First Reveal

7th Bead Soup Blog Party - First Reveal! AND my Goofed up Design AND "My Challenge Reveal"


Without further words, let me show you the soup which my partner Lori Bowring Michaud sent me, and the pieces I created with it. Then I will show you a design I created first and took apart. Why? See the pics and then I will tell the story behind! After that I will show you what I had created with the duplicate of the soup I had sent her!


The soup Lori sent me!

I created a necklace and 2 pairs of matching earrings(One with my components and other with hers!)
BSBP:  Necklace
I used two stoneware beads with a primitive pattern from my stash to reflect mud / earth element, without which no living thing - human or otherwise, can bloom! And also, for me it shows the raw and extremely realistic life, where I am blooming right now. A little personal connection there! 

Pendant handmade by Lori, with a custom bail by me.
                           

Matching Polymer Clay earrings by me. Used metallic silver and copper effect clay to match the pendant she made.

The almost stud-like earrings, paired with the necklace.

The below one shows a more ornate and long earrings, for a dressed up look!

Lucite leaf and swarovski crystal earrings.


And now, a bit of details into the handmade loop from which the 'garden' "Flourishes"(My word for 2013!)


I added a little garden with a pool concept on top left side of the 'Bloom' pendant by making a loop in copper, wire wrap it on one side with swarovski crystals to resemble water droplets shining in the sun and the other side with the lucite flowers. I added a little detailed golden swan charm and a glass butterfly in purple, to add interest! I used blue waxed cording  to make it feel like water. 

Some more...






Now, I will show you what this necklace looked like in my first attempt!
Here:





Well, it looks good. But it had a design flaw. When I wore it, the lampworked disc beads would never lay flat! Sometimes one lay flat, and one lay perpedicular to the body, making the design look lopsided!! But I am happy I took it apart. Now its wearable, and wont get to the dark corners of a jewelry box! You can see the long earring here also, but the final one has some crystals as addition, if you noticed!


And now, my version of the soup I sent to Lori!
I must say I went wild here!

The only difference is: She got an 'OM' pendant instead of the Budha! I also used a piece of polysilk (NOT SILK - my experiment) wire wrapped with twisted copper, in the focal section.


More details:

The FOCAL - a lovely tassel too, with tiny danglers out of  coral and beetel  nut discs.

The CLASP - Handforged and completely wrapped- colorful!

The wire-wrapping on the chain


A little forged and stamped bar by me, an element to add to the theme. The other side says SEEK. I have stuck the metal bar onto stamped polymer clay.

The other side of the bar component. Aubergine colored clay, to match the polysilk ribbon I had.




The custom bail, with a silver headpin, to add some mystery. 




Agate bead - orange 

Agate bead - Yellow

The overall idea behind the design was - Seek and it will "Reveal". More aspects of this necklace is yet to be included, but the more you look at it, the more gets revealed, than I had told you. Exactly the same way we look into our own souls. Or our loved ones' souls. SEEK WISDOM!


Hasnt it been my loooooongest post ever????? But hope you enjoyed!

Lets also check out what others did with their soups at Pretty Things Blog.
















95 comments:

  1. I liked both of your necklaces! - But we have all been there - when there is something just not right. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really worked that collection! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sumi! What incredible creations you've made from the soup I sent you. I, too, have taken apart my share of pieces and remade them. Your remake is stunning! I love it. The piece your made with the soup you sent me is lovely! It's amazing how given the same ingredients each person creates something so different. Even the piece I have in my head to create with the fabric and other pendant is completely different from yours. This was such a fun swap and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you. I'd love to keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Lori! I am so happy that you loved what I created! Will definitely be in touch!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing! I think the rework was really successful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work - I especially love the "Bloom" necklace! Sometimes having to take apart and do over is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What AWESOME work! And how cool that you showed the process. I love the creativity behind both pieces, and I like that you're into meaning with your necklace. Mine has a lot of meaning to me, too.

    THANK YOU for coming to the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honored that the hostess herself - Lori Anderson - came to my blog, and posted such an inspiring comment! I am so happy! Thankyou Lori! Thankyou for conductng the party, inspite of all the difficult things you were going through!

      Delete
  7. I love how you used different media, amazing result!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Nice ... esp like the "dressed up" earrings. It is too bad the first necklace did not hang well ... I really liked how you incorportated the green floral beads in it. But I can see why you had to redo ... the final version is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE both of your uses of the soup you were sent, but I think I love the revised version best! It is so whimsical & flowing....such beautiful work, your creativity is shining through each piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much! These comments and opinions are way too valuable for me!

      Delete
  10. So colorful and pretty! Perfect for this beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much. Happy that I could spread a little color in my little way too..!

      Delete
  11. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I agree, the second try on the necklace looks much better !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful necklace! I really like the finished piece and how you showed the original piece. Love the earrings too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both pieces, great textures and fantastic colours. There's nothing wrong with having a re-design, I often do that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both the original necklace and the remake are beautiful. I've also had my share of things that look wonderful until you put them on and you just can't get them to hang right. I'm so impressed that you were able to let go of that first design and create something that's visually very different, but equally unique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous piece!! And so inspiring of you to share your process, thank you! I love what you've made, most especially the rock pool and flowers. Stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely work, it's great to see someone willing to show something they were not completely happy with too. The remake is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Stacy! Yeah, when I make mistakes I get frustrated at first. But after a little wait the flaw reveals a lesson.. I thought sharing that is important too..

      Delete
  17. Beautiful pieces, especially the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm on the 3rd reveal, I'm partecipating for the 3rd time on BSBP
    I love the soup you received and the pieces you cooked with it :)
    I love asymmetrical ncklace, yours are great
    ciao dall' Italia

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the story behind the makings of your pieces from both soups. Love the fact also that you made a duplicate soup for yourself! Nice to see the differences.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good job with your soup ingredients. The idea to create with a duplicate of your partner is a very fun twist. My favorites are the long earrings, earrings are just about all I'm wearing these days so that may be why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was fun to create with both soups.. I just wanted t check how my design sense matches and contrasts with my partner's! Thankyou Ann, for stopping by.

      Delete
  21. Wow! You were busy! I love your necklace and your polymer clay earrings are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What lovely pieces! the earrings matched the necklaces wonderfully, too. Great Soup!

    ReplyDelete
  23. .... enjoyed reading your blog entry and love the pieces you have created! Love the vivid colours of the tab bead near the focal pieces. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou.. The credit to the selection of beads goes completely to my lovely partner, Lori Michaud!! You can find her here @ www.artfullyornamental.blogspot.com

      Delete
  24. I do like your first design, but I understand about the 'laying' of the necklace. The second attempt.... SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!! Great job!! ~KM http://kraftymax.blogspot.com/2013/03/7th-bead-soup-blog-party-reveal-33113.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. You created a Garden of Delight! Love that necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great jewelry! Perfect for spring. The duplicatsoup idea is fascinating. I sounds like anothe type of soup party for the future. Each artist works with two sets of soup, one that is sent to her AND a duplicate of the soup she sends to her partner. The reveals couls be displayed side by side!!!

    I’m in the third reveal. Can’t wait.

    http://vintagememoriesjewelry.blogspot.com
    kathy

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really love the necklace. Great design and a great color combination! And I love your Ploymer Clay earrings too.

    The dublicate soup is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I got many thumbs up for the duplicate soup. I just did that for fun.. It was indeed fun!

      Delete
  28. Sumi,

    I confess, I love both designs!!! Loved the story behind it and your honesty and terrific approach to taking it apart and changing it! I think we all know that every design does not work for us!! Love your work!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great twist, to have duplicates of your Soup and make a second project! I enjoyed seeing the different approaches each partner brought to the same beads. As human beings we are all made from the same stuff (flesh and bone), yet we are each unique and it's a joy to celebrate that. I think I liked the re-do of the necklace. The larger beads being somewhat distant from the focal leads the eye up the necklace instead of concentrating mainly on the focal only. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! And the analysis about the placement of the beads is a smart one! Thanks..!

      Delete
  30. I love your soup, all your pieces are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your work, very unique and colorful. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What great pieces! I also love the bowl you used in your first pic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. i love the designs you came up with

    ReplyDelete
  34. Both of your necklaces are beautiful. I can relate to the way a bead will lay or the placement of certain components. Sometimes it just doesn't work! The earrings are really nice, too. Thank you for sharing your thought process and the idea of having duplicate soup ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  35. One of the challenges I love most is when several people get the same beads and then make something. The results are always SO fun with how different the same beads can look from designer to designer. I love that you played with a duplicate set as well as the soup! I'm also glad you reworked it as I really like the second version of your soup necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great colors, amazing work!Congratulations, they are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love, love love those earrings! That handmade clasp on thew necklace is just absolutely incredible. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the first necklace - and the wire loop with the garden flourishes - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think your leaf earrings are my favorite, they just look like they would be so fun and flirty to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  40. So sweet ♥ so colourful. It makes me smile, this beautiful jewellery

    ReplyDelete
  41. All beautiful. Pieces. I just adore your pond Witt flowers and crystals and that it also makes the necklace wear right.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I LoVE that first necklace (the final version). I especially like how you used the floral pieces on the cord knots. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very cool - and it was great to read the symbolism and thought behind each element. And you confirmed one of the best things about jewelry making -- you can always take it apart and remake it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great photos - it was interesting to see close-ups of the various elements and learn about your design process.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great photos - thanks for sharing your design process.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Lovely pieces. I especially love the bright blue waxed cord.

    ReplyDelete
  47. What fun and playful Pieces.. I love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Nice pieces. I like the way you added the large round handmade's to one necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  49. A great job using your soup Sumi. I like the first necklace okay, but the second one is better. Sometimes it takes several tries. That is what this challenge is all about. Thanx for sharing your design process.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love what you ultimately came up with, your design is very inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love the colors that you used The earrings are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thankyou, thamkyou, thankyou for all lovely ladies who stopped by, and left an encouraging comment.. It means a lot to me! Hope to see you back here often!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Great pieces...great use of color. Nice job with your soup!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Your first necklace is so FUN! It makes me think of an outdoor party. There's so much going on. Your first attempt at it is gooooood, but just not right. Your second attempt was where it's at :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. I am starting most of the time with the fotos without reading the text. And i was riveted by all the details. Wow. I love these kind of necklaces so much. After a while watching here the tourqoise linnen, there the flowers, these exquist pendant, your wirework.. my eyes found the swan. What a lovely idea.
    And then i started to read. Thank you for your story :-)
    Greets Gite

    ReplyDelete